So, I’m in the mood to share with my (three) readers what I’ve been listening to lately. This isn’t a list of my all time favourite songs or a list of new songs that are worth listening to. Just a few jams, old and new that I’ve found myself skipping to until my Spotify shuffle displays them. (P.S, They aren’t in any sort of order)
10. Caroline by Amine – “Let’s get gory like a Tarantino movie” I can thank Spotify’s amazing playlists for this one. The one thing Apple Music seriously lacks, are playlists. And Spotify’s collection immensely outshines the ones Apple Music does have. Not only is it a great way to find new songs, but they’re all catered to mood, genre, artist, etc. They’re pretty much endless. And no, Spotify is not sponsoring me (lol). Anyway, I don’t know much about Amine, I keep meaning to look into some other stuff of his, but I seriously love this song. And not just because of the Quinten Tarantino reference.
9. Broccoli by D.R.A.M (feat. Lil Yachty) – Okay so basically all of my friends hate me for liking this song but I’m like what the fuck you guys. By no means is it meaningful, but it’s so much fun and it’s well put together. Also, just a little bit of hindsight, I have ALWAYS referred to marijuana as broccoli for some reason. Or “the green” but that’s besides the point. So I obviously thought that was pretty hilarious and, I don’t know I just like the song okay… leave me alone.
8. Upgrade U by Beyoncè (feat. Jay-Z) – Alright confession time, I just had to put a tad of Queen Bee on this list. Not that I don’t religiously listen to Upgrade U, but I pretty much always have so It’s maybe, sort-of a cheat. It just makes me happy because: 1. Bey, 2. Jay-Z, 3. Younger Bey and younger Jay-Z. Like, how you’re gunna upgrade them???? It really just gives me the warm fuzzies because they compliment each other so well and in this song, they literally just brag about how well they SO do in fact.
7. Ivy by Frank Ocean – Aye, my boy Frank. So, my friend Spencer, (previously mentioned in my last post) can attest to the fact that I’m an actual freak and have a list of potential captions on my phone. They’re basically made up of things I find funny. Lyrics, quotes, things like that. And anyway, I had this caption ready incase I was by an ocean anytime in the near future before Frank Ocean’s new album dropped: “All this ocean and still no Frank.” And, I can assure you, It would have been a hit. So although I’m pretty bummed about not being able to use this genius caption on an Instagram picture of the ocean, I couldn’t be more pleased that Frank’s new album FINALLY dropped not too long ago. I literally love every single one of his songs, old and new and Ivy is really just my favourite on the album I’ve decided, so I picked this guy to share with the group.
6. Little Hell by City and Colour – Dear my forever love Dallas Green, I am so grateful for all of your work, but I especially thank you for this album and I thank whoever put it on vinyl and sold it at Urban Outfitters. (By the way, don’t think anything when I say I bought it at Urban Outfitters I had a gift card) City and Colour is in my top five favourite things of all time let alone favourite artists, and even though I know and listen to all of his songs, I always find new ones to obsess over. Lately, Little Hell has been a go to for me on the train to and from school, and also when I get home from school as I normally have a headache and proceed to listening to it on my record player. God bless Dallas Green.
5. Cool Girl by Tove Lo – Okay so I kind of hate myself for liking this song? I wouldn’t say it’s an all time favourite, but I will say that it’s too catchy to not like. Normally I don’t like these kind of songs, at least not enough to talk about in detail, but there’s just something about this one that really makes me enjoy jamming to it in the car on my way to or from wherever.
4. Swim Good by Frank Ocean – Oh what? There’s another Frank Ocean song on this list? Hmm, that’s weird. (God I am funny) Okay so, the original of all originals, what sparked my love for Frank, has been reintroduced to my life by a very dumb person. Okay maybe that’t not fair, I don’t know I guess you can decide that for yourself… But long story short, a person, a legitimate person that I associate myself with, said these words: “Omg I love Frank Ocean’s new song Swim Good!” She said it to me with a straight face. New. Frank Ocean’s new song. Look, I don’t expect everyone to be a Frank Ocean expert, I don’t claim to be one myself. BUT ARE YOU SERIOUS? The song is from 2011 and I couldn’t have been more hurt by her words. (Basically one of the broken hearts in Frank’s trunk was mine) All said and done though, she had me reminiscing and I’m going through a Swim Good phase once again.
3. Consideration by Rihanna (feat. SZA) – A person I know (and used to date unfortunately) said, “Rihanna can’t sing” and added a bit about if you thought she could, you were dumb or something like that. Well, I will have you know sir, that ANTI is a banger of an album first off, and in fact, bad girl Riri can sing as I saw her in concert not too long ago. I will admit that I am not perfect, and that I too thought Rihanna’s vocal ability wasn’t all that special, but that was before I saw her preform live like an angel. I mostly love all of the songs on this album, I went through a Desperado and a Needed Me phase, but right now it’s all about Consideration. I love you bad girl Riri please never change.
2. Father Stretch My Hands, Pt. 1 and Pt. 2 by Kanye West – Kanye West is a complete dumbass and I am not impressed with him whatsoever. I really don’t care about what anyone has to say about this opinion of mine, trust me, it won’t change. However, I somewhat grudgingly admit that The Life Of Pablo is a legitimate masterpiece. (And so is pretty much all of Kanye’s other stuff) I really do love this album, and I really don’t have anything against his music, I just hate him a little bit. Nonetheless, this song along with it’s sequel, are especially entertaining to listen to and I quite like them. Tip: don’t separate pt. 1 and pt. 2 okay? Keep them together. If you’re gunna listen to pt. 1, you have to listen to pt. 2 immediately after. You just don’t have a choice, I’m sorry.
1. False Alarm by The Weeknd – I could go on and on about my love for Abel and how I truly was one of the first humans ever to bless myself and other’s with his music. But for now, I just wanna say how proud I am of him and how no one else deserves the success he has rightfully achieved in the past little while. His new album drops soon, (god bless) and I couldn’t be more excited, but for now, False Alarm is my favourite out of the few singles from the album that have been released/leaked and I listen to it every chance I get. He is pretty much the only artist I know who gets better and better with each album release and I will be forever obsessed with him.
Down below are a few really good playlists on youtube that i’ve found, in case you’re interested!